The Grooming Manual
If you have a beard, you know that you have to take special care of it in order to keep those flowing face locks – and the skin underneath them – in tip top shape. Beard oil, trimming, shaping… you know the drill.
But what about face lotion? Is it OK to apply face lotion on your beard (and moisturize the skin underneath) or will it just leave your beard a sticky, greasy mess?
Here’s everything you need to know.
Is It OK to Apply Lotion to My Beard?
Yes and no.
On one hand, a great moisturizing face lotion is a crucial part of any skincare routine, as it can help keep you from:
- Drying out your skin
- Compromising your skin’s natural barrier
- Developing fine lines, wrinkles, and other visible signs of aging
- Trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL)
Using face moisturizer regularly prevents flaking, irritation, redness, clogged pores, and beard itch. It also encourages healthy and even skin. That’s why you can’t afford to skip the lotion – or, more broadly, the skincare routine – when you have a beard.
For daily use (and for all skin types) we recommend our Daily Essential Face Moisturizer. Its lightweight formula absorbs quickly and won’t weight down or grease up your beard.
But men lotion only works effectively when you have stubble or a short beard. If your beard is long, the lotion may clump in your beard or clog pores. And the longer your beard is more, the more likely it develop dry, damaged ends. That’s because your skin’s natural sebum (oil) can’t reach the tips as easily.
That’s why we recommend hydrating, nourishing beard products, especially if you have a longer beard.
Which Products Should I Use on My Beard?
So what skincare routine should you follow if you have a beard? Keep in mind your main goal: preventing dryness, flakes, and ingrown hairs beneath your beard. To this end, we recommend that you regularly:
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating weekly with our Renewing Face Scrub helps prevent ingrown hairs, dead skin buildup, irritation, and clogged pores.
- Practice good grooming: When shaving to clean up your beard, make sure that you’re doing it correctly, going in the direction of hair growth. This will prevent irritation consistently.
- Wash: Take the time to wash your beard every time you shower. It’s important you use a gentle, moisturizing face wash (we have several options for men of all skin types and concerns). Look for main ingredients like jojoba oil, charcoal, olive oil, and aloe, as they will cleanse your beard without stripping away essential moisture.
- Moisturize: Reminder - you can’t skip the moisturizer on the rest of your skin. And – if your beard is relatively short – you can use face lotion on your beard as well. But for guys with longer beards, keep it moisturized with our premium, natural Beard Oil. It softens your beard and moisturizes the skin underneath to prevent itchiness, dryness, or flakes.